Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Names--The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Well, Mostly the Ugly

One of the small joys of my life is laughing at what parents name their children. Waymon Winfree for instance---every time the poor child says his name his teacher will think he has a lisp. You mean Raymond, right?
Here's a list of some of my favorites:
Veaisheia (How many vowels can you have in one name? How is this pronounced?), D'Aundre, D'Auntre (same family, not twins), Quajonta, Quentoria (apparently "Q" is back in style), Lasharika (this one is actually quite popular), Markeeshi (That's two "e's", get is right!), Myeshi, Forchanta, Jorlesha, Jalyriccs (Lyrics has such a nice ring to it. Let's add the popular prefix "ja" to the beginning and see what that gives us. Nice), and my favorite because I think it was just a case of no spellcheck--Kylob. How do you pronounce this? Ky-Lob, Kelob, Key-Lob? Nope, it's the common name Caleb with a creative spelling.
PS>I just discovered a great new name. It's so original that I'm not even sure I've spelled it right. Just marvel. LorNazha Era'za. Please let me know if you can figure out how to pronounce that.

3 comments:

Dangdut said...

I think you should write a Baby Name Book based on these Southern jewels. I give you permission to add "Jimothy Bobson" to your list. I have full confidence that it will quickly become one of America's most popular names for both genders.

Marian Frizzell said...

yes. you are so my favourite. This is why I wrote cool stories--because you were my inside track on inspirational names!

Anonymous said...

It really makes you wonder what the parents were thinking. I think they must think they get points somewhere for trying to make their child's life even harder as they grow up. Poor kids and poor adults. You will never find those names on a coffee mug now will you. Well, maybe that was what the parents were going for, who knows.